East Fern Avenue Walking Tour – Saturday, April 22

FernE204b

East Fern Avenue Walking Tour – Saturday, April 22

FernE2

The Redlands Area Historical Society will tour the East Fern Avenue Historic District April 22 beginning on the north side near Redlands Blvd. at 9:00 a.m.

On April 22 at 9:00 a.m. the first half of the Fern Avenue tour will begin at Redlands Blvd. and East Fern and end of the south side of East Fern near the beginning point.

East Fern Avenue offers Victorian citrus ranch homes constructed early in Redlands.   East Fern has some the best examples of Spanish Revival architecture in Redlands.  California bungalows dominate Fern Avenue with variety from the beginning of the bungalow period to the end.  Craftsman homes are also present with plans completed by several noteworthy Redlands architects.  The historical society has recognized fifteen structures on Fern Avenue with Heritage Awards.

Fern Avenue was part of the original street grid designed by Judson and Brown in 1881.  No residence tract was located on Fern Avenue but Redlands residents found the proximity to downtown Redlands a tempting reason to build there.   Following incorporation in 1888, Fern Avenue was addressed by the first city council.  Ordinance #29 prescribed the width of the street, sidewalks, street trees,  curbs and gutters.   Only the newly elected City Street Superintendent could alter the streets of Redlands.

The Redlands Street Railway, at first mule drawn and later electrified, provided quick transportation to the downtown.   Alfred Cameron Burrage donated funds in 1902, to build the University Club house on East Fern and Cajon.

The tour fee is $10 and conducted by Tom Atchley and board members of the Redlands Area Historical Society.