1976 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT
The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Heritage Award 1976
Edward M. Cope Home
Edward M. Cope came to Redlands in 1898 from Germantown, Pennsylvania. He became a partner with Harry Graham and sold farm implements, hardware and conducted a feed and fuel business. Mr. Cope was summarized, upon his death in 1954, as a “civic leader and philanthropist of Redlands.” He married Marie Lewis in 1899 and sought plans for a home in late 1899.
Mr. Cope and his new wife left for Butte, Montana, in February 1900. He placed the plans with Davis M. Donald for a home on Walnut Avenue.
The original home has not been altered from its ten rooms. Five bedrooms upstairs and another maid’s room downstairs gave the home a large amount of space for guests. Mrs. L. C. Sheppard observed the actual building for the Copes while they were away. The final cost was $5,800. Mr. Cope returned and in 1901 built the barn to match the house. The barn cost was $1,500.
The home was described as prim and always in a proper condition. The water company noted that a citrus orchard belonging to Mrs. Kirke Field had been removed in 1900 and also the planting of an extra lawn had been completed. A drought-weary Redlands carefully allocated water to things deemed extravagances. Lawns fell into this category.
Since the mid-1950’s Mrs. Dorthy Cope Weller has lived in the family home. It is a rare instance when any house in Southern California remains in the same family for over seventy-six years.