1987 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT
The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Heritage Award 1987
Edwin F. Partridge Home
705 West Highland Avenue
Edwin F. Partridge, a leather merchant and financier, came to Redlands from Germantown, Pennsylvania, in 1895. He purchased what was then the residence at 705 West Highland from George Harpham. In 1905 Partridge’s wife, Henrietta, commissioned D. M. Donald to build the present home on this site. Edwin Partridge was president of the American Pipe Manufacturing Company, the Tenth National Bank, and the Philadelphia Fire Lloyds. Mrs. Partridge was active in many community activities. Their home provided a place to entertain many notable visitors.
E. F. Partridge
This 10,300 square foot, three-story, New England-style structure was placed on its acre of land so that the front entrance of the home did not face the street, but west toward its own park. The north and east sides of the home are protected from the street by tall hedges, bamboo, and shade trees. The structure of 32 rooms has a medium-hipped slate roof and six gabled dormers on the third story. There are exposed carved rafter beams. The siding is of redwood shingles. The foundation is cut stone, as are the four chimneys. The cement porch is supported by six rectangular wooden carved pillars and has wooden post railings. The second story roofed balcony, over the porch, also has a wooden railing. The Adams-style entrance has a curved molded arch with keystone and leaded window transom. There are 106 windows in the home, including five bays. There is a screened porch at the rear of the house, a “cooling” room, and a magnificent curved staircase.
The present owners, Paul F. and Helena G. Allen, fulfilled a long-time dream with the purchase of their home in December 1950, calling the property Allenhaven. The number of rooms gives space for their many hobbies and collections. The Aliens have very active and successful careers and are involved, civically, in many areas of Redlands. They appereciate the privacy and serenity of their home with its beautifully landscaped surroundings, which include many rare and unusual plants.
We commend the Allens for the loving care they have given this historic property.