1999 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT
The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Heritage Award 1999
Fred E. and Marion L. Hotchkiss Home
1003 West Highland A venue
Henry H. Pettit, who purchased it from Frank E. Brown in 1895, originally owned the property at Monterey Street and Highland Avenue. Mr. and Mrs. Fred Hotchkiss purchased the property in 1909 with Mrs. Marion Hotchkiss taking title. Mrs. Hotchkiss was a sister to Mrs. Pettit and Messrs. Hotchkiss and Pettit were cousins.
In 1910 the Hotchkiss’ hired R. C. Cunningham to build the cross-gabled roof house with enclosed overhangs. Estimated cost indicated on the permit was $7000. Unfortunately, Fred Hotchkiss died suddenly one year later on April 9, 1911. He had visited the Cadillac Garage, complained of not feeling well while sitting in one of the autos, and as he stepped out of the vehicle, he slumped to the floor. Before the manager of the garage could reach him, in only a matter of seconds, he was dead.
Fred was an only son born in New Haven, Connecticut November 26, 1843. He came to California about 1890 as secretary of the Bear Valley and Allesandro Development Co. In 1903 he was active in the incorporation of the Bear Valley Mutual Water Co. and served as secretary for many years.
During 1917, Egmont Sidney Pohl and his wife Kate Grant Pohl purchased the home. Mrs. Pohl was descended from a prominent Pennsylvania oil production family. Mr. Pohl hailed from Pennsylvania also. After arriving in Redlands he managed the Fay Fruit Company. He played the violin and viola as his avocation.
Mrs. Pohl died in 1948 and Mr. Pohl died on New Year’s Eve in 1956 at his home. Funeral services were held at his residence. After the death of her parents, Marjorie Pohl became heir to the home. Marjorie was a columnist and publicist in Palm Springs. She closed the house with everything in it for several years. Her brother, Wadsworth, lived in North Hollywood. The residence remained in the Pohl family until 1976.
Dr. Roland and Melba Zimmermann lived in the neighborhood on Walnut Avenue and were seeking a larger home. They wanted to stay in the general area and were delighted when the Highland Avenue home became available. The Zimmermann’s moved in October 1976 with their three children, Rolanda, Gregory and Robert.
Little has been done to alter the home since it was originally built. The Zimmermann’s added the patio and removed two interior walls eliminating a breakfast room and a butler’s pantry to make way for a kitchen/family room area.
Redlands Area Historical Society proudly presents this award to Dr. and Mrs. Zimmermann for the love and care given to this property.
Researched and written by Liz Beguelin