George Fulbright House – 2024


The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.

The George & Myrtle Fulbright House

304 E. Fern Avenue


Welcome to 304 East Fern Avene, an iconic example of Spanish Colonial Revival located in the Historic Neighborhood of Fern Avenue District. The original building record was first dated 1932 but later corrected to read 1928. This is substantiated with an article published on August 21,1929, announcing the marriage of the daughter of original owners, Mr. and Mrs. George E. Fulbright, in the backyard of the 304 East Fern address where 150 guests were in attendance to the evening ceremony under a full moon.

Property owners of a nearby Victorian farmhouse style home from the early 1900’s owned this address until the lot splits were complete in the mid-1920s to create the surrounding houses. R. E. Raine was the contractor on the 1928 Spanish Revival home and the cost to build was $9,000. Raine was a well-known contractor building dozens of homes from Rialto to Redlands.

From the street view there is original cut stone curbing in un-refurbished, good condition. The structure is a two-story “L” shaped home with an irregular roof line of red tile. The front northwest facing roof line is gable finished with a slope to a bell cast and the rear or southeast is hip. Under the gable are seven pueblo style tile vents for the large attic space. Below the vents sits a statue holder inset. Directly below is a large arched fixed window measuring 83 inches tall by 83 inches wide, a perfect arch, and is adorned with hand crafted iron scroll work to fit in a particular order. Mature Oaks, Camphor, Redwood, and Palm trees dot the landscape along with a small grove of orange and other citrus trees.

The walkway leading to the home is red in color and curves gently to the front courtyard entry. The scrolled iron arch greets you to the generously sized garden walled courtyard with attractive two-tiered fountain. There are five fountains total on the property. If you look back from the street the iron courtyard entry arch frames the 18 paned window with curved windows at the top that sits behind it. Over this window is an arched and tiled projection creating an interesting feature and a bit of shade. Above this is a very traditional and prominent Mission style parapet that houses a bell, its most impressive feature. Moving further northeast are a series of flat-topped arches across the Adams entrance and the carport.

Back into the courtyard area we find one step up to the formal front entrance with two arches and a center post. Just beyond is the original front door with a semicircular opening glass pane and 3 decorative spindles. There are three sets of 66-inch-tall French windows here that open out to the courtyard with a rare feature of copper spring-loaded pull-down screens. All the downstairs original double hung, and arched-paned windows are in place with hardware and weighted ropes. Two original iron and amber glass porch lamps still hang and offer a wash of warm light. Upstairs on the rear Southwest side sits a wooden based covered Juliette walkout balcony with iron railing that offers sunset and neighborhood views.

Recent additions are very attractive spearhead awnings helping to protect nearly every window and creating much needed shade in the hot summer months. In 2022 the home was featured as the “Run Through Redlands” home of the year.

The first owners, George and Myrtle Fulbright, were very involved in the community and business world. George Fulbright was a prominent real-estate broker for decades and orange grower in his later years. Mrs. Fulbright was always involved in society, church, and private events, known for hosting and co-hosting dozens of soirées documented in numerous newspapers; over 90 articles of the Fulbright’s goings on were printed. Numerous permits were located documenting the love and care they gave to their home, they owned and entertained in this home for over 40 years.

The lot measures a generous .39 of an acre and features a pool house, pool, and spa. The pool house was originally a garage but converted years later to a workspace. It is now a 450 sq. ft. entertaining space with a 12-foot-long bar top that seats eight guests. The second owner, Richard Wright, who bought in the late 70’s, applied for a permit for a 216 square foot patio cover on the pool house, a 13 ft. X 14 ft. room addition at the rear of the house and a 17 ft. X 34 ft. pool and spa with himself listed as the contractor. In 1981 he was given a notice by the city to finish the work. Finally in 2016 the room addition was marked as complete and paid by the 6th owner, the Emerson’s!

William and Rosemary Hulse, who owned Hulse Media in Redlands, bought in 1999 for $215,000. Rosmary died young at 64 years of age and is buried at Hillside Memorial Park, Redlands. Seven years after her passing William sold it.

Holly Scott bought in 2012 for $404,000 but only stayed 4 years. In 2016 something very strange happened, Mr. Draucker purchased it for $616,000 but never moved in. The husband had bought it as a surprise for his wife. Turns out she did not like the home and wanted to stay in Rancho Cucamonga where things are “new”. He then sold to Dan and Mandy Emerson at a discount for $600,000.

Three years later the Emersons wanted to sell, they were over the whole “old house thing” and listed the home with Jill Huntsinger, local Realtor who had helped them purchase it. As it turns out she had always loved the home and convinced her husband Mark to come take a look. Now, they were both in love with it. Just days later they became the buyers on their own listing! Escrow closed the day before Thanksgiving 2019. The Huntsingers hope to be there as long as the Fulbrights were and have tremendous plans for the home and land in the decades to come, all while honoring its significant architecture.

The Redlands Area Historical Society appreciates the love Jill and Mark Huntsinger have for 304 East Fern and wishes them many happy years in the home of their dreams.

Presented on June 12, 2024. Research by Jill Huntsinger.