1979 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT
The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Heritage Award 1979
J. Lansing Lane Home
1515 West Cypress Avenue
The stately residence of Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Holmes, Jr. at 1515 West Cypress Avenue was built in 1890, by J. Lansing Lane, a bachelor, from New Jersey. There was a rapid turnover of owners up until 1923 when Hattie M. Mitchell, Mrs. Holmes’ grandmother, bought the house. Mrs. Holmes (Mary Blanch Little) inherited the estate in 1940. Sitting on a hill amidst an orange grove, it overlooks the valley.
The first story of the home is constructed of cutstone blocks, and wood siding is used for the second story. To enter the house, one passes through a screened porch framed in oak. The oak is cut to perfectly match the contours of the cutstone porch and pillars. Colorful hexagonal tiles are used for the porch flooring.
The front door, framed by leaded glass windows, opens into a magnificent entry hall of natural golden oak woodwork. The decor and furnishings of the interior compliment the elegance of the home. The adobe cold room and the water storage tank in the attic are still in existence in the house.