James McKenzie Home


The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Heritage Award 1981

James McKenzie Home
329 West State Street
Circa 1894

James McKenzie first arrived in Redlands in 1887. He liked the area and traveled to Prince Edward Island, Canada, to bring his family. The McKenzies and their six children returned to Redlands in 1890.

McKenzie began construction on the home in 1893 on West State Street and completed it in 1894 or 1895. McKenzie’s trade as a stonemason came into play on the construction of the first floor. It is hand-cut granite. The second story is made of brick from on the Redlands’ local brickyards. The porch with its hand-turned posts surrounds the entire first floor.

Mr. McKenzie lived in the house until his death in 1924. His wife remained there until she died in 1950 at the age of 98.

The house had several occupants and was slowly deteriorating. About two years ago the property was bought by John Moore and he has been responsible for the extensive restoration of the building. Presently his business offices occupy the building.