2010 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT
Redlands Area Historical Society
John P. Hight, Jr. Home
647 W. Palm Avenue
This modified classic box home history proved to be perplexing to research. Directories listed the home as 345 West Palm, 547 West Palm, and now, 647 West Palm. In addition, the name of John P. Hight Jr. is listed incorrectly as John N. Light in several archival resources. There was a John Light who lived in Redlands, but not at 647 West Palm.
The San Bernardino County Archives show that a Nellie M. Harris owned the property in 1900. She sold the property to Blanche Holmes. Blanch and her husband were residing at 645 Palm in 1902. The Hights acquired both properties in 1903. From 1905 to 1908 they lived at 645 (presumably while 647 was being built). John Hight sold real estate, made loans, sold insurance and worked for the Redlands National Bank. Hight had D. M. Donald, contractor and builder, complete 645 West Palm in 1900 for $2870. At the time of this construction, a rock wall was built across the front of both lots. In 1905, Donald returned and built 647 Palm for $2250.
Behind the ashlar cut planter with piers across the front yard sits an architecturally detailed two story Modified Classic Box residence designed by architect C.H. Jones. While the home is square in plan, the design detail of its features are anything but simple or square. Even the wood siding is a combination of clapboard, shiplap, and shingle. An offset bay window on the first floor faces the street and features a leaded window designed by Tom Medlicott. Concrete steps approach a wood porch and a stained wood single front door, again with Tom Medlicott glasswork. Both the West and East sides of the building feature bay window projections. Windows throughout the house are typically double hung or sash and transom. A board visually divides the two floors. The roof is an intricate blend of a bellcast center gable with the North façade featuring an inset within an inset and closed eaves. The South side roof is a bellcast hipped gable with a division of roofline between the 1st and 2nd floor. An intricate brick chimney projects from the roofline.
Hight rented the 647 property and speculated on the home value for a future sale. In most years, the city directory does not list 647, as it was a rental. In 1910, Phillip Jenkins and his wife, Melinda are shown as the owners. Robert and Annie Freeman, horticulturists, were the owners in 1923. Earl W. Moore, the bookkeeper for Hammond Lumber Co., was the owner between 1933 and 1936. In 1947, Thomas E. and Grace Cornwall purchased the home. As with so many in Redlands, Thomas was an orange grower. The couple owned the house for twenty years.
A Gordon Power pulled permits in 1972 for several projects, including remodeling the kitchen and in 1979, John and Susan Hammond sold the home to Thomas and Beanie Medlicott. Since 1992, the Medlicotts have improved the electrical system, had seismic work, completed a room addition, and updated the heating and air system in both 2003 and 2010.
The Redlands Area Historical Society is pleased to recognize the Medlicotts for their long-time attention, care, and stewardship of this Redlands historic property
Researched by – Tom Atchley and Kathleen Beall