About This Project

2001 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT

Redlands Area Historical Society

D.B. & Marie Kendall Home

451 Grant Street

1910

This wonderful example of an early 20th Century Craftsman Style home is part of the Lorna Vista Tract. Developed during the early part of the century, this tact includes excellent examples of various other styles of Victorian Architecture. In 1901 it was developed as Owen Street but sometime later the name was changed to Grant Street, as it remains today. Originally built in 1910 for D.B. and Marie Kendall. Mr. Kendall worked at the Citograph for many years as a printer while his wife, Marie, worked as a schoolteacher. The house is a story and a half, square plan, with a decorative fieldstone foundation in front and poured concrete foundation around the sides and back. Originally assessed at a value of $600, it shares many of the simple classic elements of Arts & Crafts Architecture.

A view of the home from the front reveals four wide cement steps flanked by two-tiered cement capped field stone columns. Additional fieldstone columns on each end of the expansive cement deck porch support a large decorative boxed beam spanning the width of the porch. Porch railing is a 3-inch by 11-inch plank set into the fieldstone columns. A centered entry door of veneered oak with three step beveled glass windows and its original Arts & Crafts brass door hardware add to this classic design. Arts & Crafts style porch lights along with a large center fixed window with elongated side casement windows on each side of the entry door complete the design. Above the porch is a shed roof former with French doors leading out to a porch enclosed by simple square post balusters. Triangular knee braces and exposed rafter tails are used along the roofline through out the home. The house is sided with 6-inch redwood clapboard. Leaded beveled glass casement windows and double hung windows on the south side of the house. A fireplace chimney also on the south side extends up the side of the house and through the eaves, rising four feet above the roofline. A set of divided light French doors lead to a cozy side porch on the north side.

The home remained in the Kendall family until 1925 when Charles and Olive Bardawil purchased it. The Bardawils owended a shoe store in downtown Redlands for many years. Mrs. Bardawil still lived in the house in the mid to late 1970’s.

Luby and Carolyn Weaver purchased the home in the spring of 1994 after having looked for a Craftsman styled home for many years. Luby Weaver indicated he felt right at home the moment they walked in. Now the Weaver family is making every effort to decorate and furnish the inside of their 1910 Craftsman to reflect the same style of the outside Craftsman architecture.

The Redlands Area Historical Society applauds the Weavers for maintaining the Arts & Crafts Architecture of this historic property.

Research and written by Dave Saputo.

Category
2001 Heritage Awards