About This Project

1987 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT

The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Heritage Award 1987

Mark Devol Anderson Home
1101 Cajon Street
1912

1101 Cajon is an excellent example of a California Bungalow. The medium gable roof has vertical stick vents with double windows in three gables that face North, West, and South. The siding is cedar shingle and the foundation is two feet of cutstone. The use of cutstone in the porch and step piers is one of the most striking features of the home. The inside fireplace is also cutstone. A half-foot cutstone retaining wall runs around the property, situated on the corner of Highland and Cajon.

Mark Devol Anderson

On October 2, 1912, a building permit was issued to Mr. Alexander McGregor, a widower, for lots 1, 2, and 3 of the Crescent Avenue Subdivision. The builders were Carter, Iveson, and Wells. The cost of the home was $2,700, with another $100.00 for a garage. On January 17, 1913, Lots 1, 2, 3, and 4 were sold to Mrs. William (Phoebe) Ring, a widow living at 63 Summit Avenue. Her husband, William Ring, was an orange grower in this area and was listed in the 1896 Redlands Directory. She lived in the Cajon house from 1913 until it was sold in February 1920 to Mr. and Mrs. Harry Cochran, a salesman from Helena, Montana, and a possible relative of Mrs. Ring.

In 1923 Mr. Mark Anderson and his wife Daisy rented the home, eventually purchasing it after World War II. Mr. Anderson was Secretary-Manager of the Redlands Highland Fruit Exchange for 42 years, retiring in 1965. He was also a citrus grower. The 1938 Golden Jubilee Book of Redlands states that he was born in Morgan County, Ohio, taught school for one year in Kentucky, and studied law for two years. Mr. Anderson came to Los Angeles in 1906 and to Redlands in 1907, leaving the area and returning in 1923. He lived in the Cajon house for almost 45 years. Other owners were the Charles Poole family between 1968 and 1974, and Willard and Kathleen Osmunson between 1974 and 1977. (Golden Jubilee)

Bob and Lou Rigney purchased the home in 1977. They say the construction of their bungalow allows air to move about the house, giving it a very open, friendly feeling. Mrs. Rigney, a fourth-generation Californian, and her husband have been active in both local, state, and national affairs.
They are to be commended for the excellent care they have taken of the property.

Category
1987 Heritage Awards