1993 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT
The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Heritage Award 1993
Kirk H. Field/Paul Moore Home
851 West Highland Avenue
Kirk H. Field began the planning of his second residence in Redlands as early as 1900. He planted a park on the corner of West Highland Avenue and Pacific Street which he called ‘Flores Park’. In 1906, Davis Donald began the construction at 851 West Highland Avenue of an $8,000 English Tudor Cottage for Mr. Field who called the home ‘Miraflores’, in honor of his wife.
The house is an ‘L’-shaped plan set on a raised basement with a cut stone foundation. Composition shingles cover the gabled roof which has dentils along the bargeboard. There are two brick chimneys and four gabled dormers. There are flatboards on the stucco walls in Tudor fashion. Windows are in multiple groupings and are mostly casement with diamond panes. Window boxes adorn several windows on the second and third stories. There is a rectangular bay on the northwest corner of the first floor. Cement steps lead to the gabled front porch. An arched trellis sets between two cut stone posts at the start of the curved driveway which winds along cut-stone curbs.
Mr. Field was born in New York in 1857. He finished school in the law department of Michigan University. In 1887, due to ill health, Field moved to Colorado and later to Arizona where he married Myra Howard in 1890. Miss Howard was the daughter of Hon. Mark Howard, president of the National Fire Insurance Company of Hartford, Connecticut. Seeking a milder climate to recover his health, Field came to Redlands in 1892 and became active in many aspects of Redlands life including the high school, library, Associated Charities, the Day Nursery and was one of the founders of the University of Redlands. He also helped to organize the Fortnightly Club in Redlands which held its first meeting in 1895.
Mr. Field sold the property to Paul and Lucretia Moore in 1913. Paul Moore was the owner of the Redlands Daily Facts. Bill and Frank Moore succeeded their father at the Facts upon his death in 1942. The house did not change hands until Mrs. W.A. Roth bought it in 1969. After Mrs. Roth’s death in 1983 it became the property of her son, William.
We would like to commend Mr. Roth for helping to preserve this fine example of Tudor Revival architecture, a style not commonly found in Redlands.