Rev. Thomas J. Fitzgerald, pastor of the Church of the Sacred Heart, was born in Kerry, Ireland, in October, 1837. His primary education was in the local national school. At the age of 11 years he was sent to Holy Cross College, Tralee, and two years afterward to St. Brendan’s Seminary, Killarney; remaining there four years, he entered the University of Maynooth, from which he graduated in 1882, after six years studies. He then read a pos-graduate, in 1882-83. He was at once assigned to a mission in Scotland. Three years afterward he was transferred to Ireland, but his health failed and , coming to this country, he was for four years in Colorado, seeking recovery. For six years he has ministered in California, and for three years has been the pastor of the Catholic society in this city. The first service of this society was held April 1, 1894, in the Berry & Wilson block (recently removed) corner of Orange street and Colton avenue, but the society now worship in a neat church of their own, which was blessed January 5, 1896.
(Source: Illustrated Redlands, 1897, p. 55)