Born in Ohio, S. C. Haver entered the Union service at the early age of seventeen, in the fall of 1861, joining the 19th Ohio. This regiment was manned by Colonel, afterwards General, and still later, Senator, Manderson, of Nebraska. Mr. Haver was honorably discharged in 1863, but in the meantime, had fought in several important battles, including Shiloh, Corinth and Stone River. At the last mentioned battle he was taken prisoner, but was recaptured the next day. At the siege of Corinth he lost an arm and was promoted on the field to the rank of captain. On his recovery from his wound he went back to the army and served for a year on the staff of General Manderson.
On returning to Ohio after his discharge from the army, Mr. Haver entered the hardware business. In 1880, he removed to Denver and engaged in the cattle business until 1888, when he came to Redlands and has been employed in orange growing ever since. He was secretary and general manager of the Allesandro Orange Grove Company and is now secretary of the Redlands Grange Grove and Water Company. He is a director in the Redlands Commercial Company and in the First National Bank., has been a director of the Redlands Chamber of Commerce from its commencement, and is not its vice-president. Mr. Haver was also secretary, and one of the most active members of the Casa Loma Hotel Committee, disbursing and paying to Col. Ritchie the entire amount raised by the citizens of Redlands toward building this hotel.
(Source: Illustrated Redlands, 1897, p. 42)