Henry H. Sinclair was born in Brooklyn, N. Y., December 22, 1858, and lived there until June 1887, when he came to Redlands. His education was obtained in the public schools and at the age of fifteen he went to sea, before the mast, and came to California around Cape Horn in 1874. During three years of seafaring life he passed through the grades of ordinary seaman, able seaman and second mate of sailing vessels. During 1877 and ’78, Mr. Sinclair took a scientific course at Cornell University. He then went into the shipping business in New York as an employee of the firm of Lovell & Sinclair, and afterwards became a partner in the firm of N. B. Sinclair & Son. They had a line of vessels running to the Cape of Good Hope and did a general commission business. Upon coming to Redlands Mr. Sinclair engaged in ranching, purchasing thirty acres in the old Lugonia tract, set to oranges and other fruits.
He was a member of the first Board of trustees of Redlands and served for four years; has been a director of the Lugonia Water Company and the South Fork Ditch Association, and was interested in the Terracina Hotel and Railroad companies. In 1892, with others, Mr. Sinclair started the Redlands Electric Light and Power Company, a successful enterprise which was the forerunner of the larger and more important undertaking, the Southern California Power Company, incorporated April 19, 1897, of which Mr. Sinclair is now president and general manager. Mrs. Sinclair, before her marriage, was Miss Agnes Rowley, of Brooklyn, N. Y.
(Source: Illustrated Redlands, 1897, p. 20)