13 Dec Beatie, George William (1859-1949)
George W. Beattie was born April 10, 1859, at the Mission of American Board, Jamaica, West Indies. He passed his boyhood at Oberlin, Ohio, and came to San Bernardino County, Cal., October 14, 1874, locating in Lugonia, now the northern part of the city of Redlands. Mr. Beattie opened the first school in Lugonia, May 14, 1877, and taught until 1879. He taught again in Lugonia in the year 1881-82, and was a trustee of the Lugonia district in 1880 to 1881. The following year, 1882, Mr. Beattie moved to East Highlands. He was secretary of the North Fork Water Company from 1885 to 1895 and clerk of the Board of Supervisors of San Bernardino County from 1887 to 1889. For the next two years he was county treasurer, and from 1891 to 1895 county superintendent of schools. Since 1895, Mr. Beattie has been a special student in physics, chemistry and pedagogy at the University of California at Berkeley, and is now a reader in the department of chemistry in this university.
(Source: Illustrated Redlands, p. 8.)