Born in Tennessee in 1843, Professor A.S. McPherron,when 7 years old, went to Tabor, Iowa, and attended the public schools. At the outbreak of the civil war in 1861, when 18 years of age, he enlisted in the Fifteenth Iowa Regiment of Volunteers, serving eighteen months. At the conclusion of hostilities he continued his education, and graduated from Tabor College, Iowa, in 1870 and from Oberlin College, Ohio in 1871. For two years he was principal of the grammar and high school in Akron, Ohio and for the next eight years was with the public schools and college at Tabor, Iowa, and served one term in the city council. In 1881 he removed to Albuquerque, N.M., and was for four years principal of the academy in that city. He then came to the Pacific Slope, settling in Los Angeles, where he taught for three years in the public schools and as principal of McPherron Academy.
Professor McPherron came to Redlands in 1888, and most of the time since that date has taught school at Crafton and Highland He was for two years a member of the board of trustees of the Union High School, representing the Lugonia district. At present he is engaged as supervising principal of the department of music in the public schools of Redlands. Besides attending to his duties as an educator, Professor McPherron has brought into bearing fifteen acres of orange land in the city. In July, 1873, he was married in Tabor, Iowa, to Miss H.Maria Gaston, of the same place.
(Source: Illustrated Redlands, 1897, p. 62.)