Albert G. Simonds Home


The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Heritage Award 1978

Albert G. Simonds Home
324 West Olive Avenue

The Cinderella House was built in 1900 by Albert G. Simonds. Simonds came to Redlands in 1896 and immediately began purchasing orange groves. Some of this acreage is still owned by the Simonds family. Simonds was not only an orange grower, but a packer and president of the Redlands-Highlands Fruit Exchange. He also served on the City Council from June 1907 to February 1908.

The house was originally gray with yellow trim. The house has a porte cochere over the driveway. The parlor has a massive tan brick-work fireplace. The house has beautiful oak floors thoughout. The living room is paneled in oak. Upstairs there are four bedrooms and only one bathroom. The house has an attic and a cupola with windows which look out in all directions.

The lap board siding of the house in channeled to form horizontal shadow lines giving texture to the walls. The designer went all out on the eaves, starting with the cupola at the highest elevations, dropping down to the roof dormer, and then to the main eave line of the roof. The house is ornamented with classic shield and foliage designs.

This lovely home was given its “Wedgewood” paint job by Prof. John Brownfield and family. Mrs. And Mrs. Terry Meade are the current owners.