About This Project

1994 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT

The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Heritage Award 1994

Christian D. Myers Bungalow
308 Alvarado
1911

The Redlands Review May 11, 1911 states that Chris D. Myers contracted Mr. Kavanaugh to build a bungalow on Alvarado consisting of six rooms. Interior of cedar, floors of hardwood. cobblestones to be used for the foundation and posts of the wide front porch. Building permit estimated the cost at $2500.00. The 1912-13 Redlands directory lists a C.D. Myers and his wife Blanche at 308 Alvarado and his cigar, tobacco confectionary and soda fountain at 102 Orange. Mr. Christian Myers passed away on September 20,1916. The Redlands Review wrote a very emotional announcement. “Chris D. Myers is dead. This word went over the business district of the city last evening and caused great sorrow, for Chris, as he was always known to his friends, was one of the best known and best liked men in the city. He died at his home on Alvarado Street at 7:30 last evening. Although his many friends have been expecting his death at any time for several years the realization that he had passed away brought just as much grief. He has been in poor health for about twelve years, ever since he came to this city in fact, and many times the doctors had given up hope of saving his life. The indimitable spirit and wonderful will power of the man brought him through the crisis.” The Red1ands Daily Facts wrote: ” He is survived by his wife and two sons. His parents, together with a number of brothers and sisters, reside at Columbia City, Indiana. At the time of the Spanish American war decedent enlisted and went to Cuba where he contracted a fever which undermined his health to such an extent that he never recovered from its effects. Mr. Myers was commander of the local chapter of the Spanish-American War Veterans at the time of his death.Internment will be at Hillside.

Other residents of the house were: 1919, Mrs. Lorentse West, widow of O.H. West, 1921, Robert and Carolyn E. Johnson-Manager Hammond Lumber, 1923, James T. Campbell-Pharmacist-H.B. Morris Drug Co. In 1954 building permits show an Olon Riegel as owner but his name does not appear in the telephone books until 1961. In 1968, a Arsenio Delgado and his wife Ethel are listed, occupation Captain U.S.A.F. 1972, Charles Crane and 1987, the present owner the Simpson Family.

The most outstanding feature of this lovely bungalow is the use of fieldstone, or cobblestone, in the foundation, centered chimney, posts and balustrade of the open, cement, front porch. The extension of the porch posts through the low gable roof is an unusual feature. Craftsman characteristics are quite evident with exposed rafters, and bracket and beam supports of the porch roof. Siding is woodshingle above, a continuous trim, then shiplap. Windows are narrow, double hung, plain trim and no sills. The top of each window contains 4 small square panes. A window with a shed roof is located in the north east corner of the building.

Lauree Smith Simpson and her three children feel very comfortable in their bungalow style home. The interior has a warm feeling because of the wood trim and hardwood floors; She hopes to never move and really enjoys living in an historical neighborhood.

We thank the Simpson Family for their special care of this beautiful home.

Category
1994 Heritage Awards