1977 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT
The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Heritage Award 1977
D. W. Willard Home
333 West South Avenue
This house was built in 1894 by the Donalds at a cost of $5,000. D.W. Willard, an architect, designed the house himself. This New England style house is a twin of the one designed by Mr. Willard for Mrs. C.H. Meigs on Summit Avenue. The house contains eleven rooms and was constructed entirely of redwood. An unusual feature is the separate cottage, probably Mr. Willard’s office, which is still on the property. The Willards lived here only a short time due to Mrs. Willard’s poor health.
The house was acquired in 1919 by the J. R. Finlays who made a number of alterations. The Finlays especially took great pride in the gardens. The Dr. J.L. Paulus family occupied the residence for some time. The current owners are Dr. and Mrs. William Williamson.