1988 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT
The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Heritage Award 1988
Dr. Robert Verimlye (“Saritta”) Home
1703 Sarrita Drive
In 1912 Dr. Robert Vermilye bought from John and Sara Gill and William Bertha Rabbeth, property in the Country Club Park subdivision. In this park. like setting, on a hill he built this Georgian-style home. Years later, as property lines changed, the home was named Saritta Hi1l–Little Sara’s Hill.
The building is “H” shaped with a low parapet of sectioned-balustrade railing along the outside of the roof. Both front and back of this symmetrical house are equally impressive. The covered entry way is centered between four Doric columns and approached by a broad series of brick steps. The door is framed with sidelights. A balcony with a wrought iron rafting is located at the second-story level above the entrance. The entry on the east side of the home has a cornice with dentils, supported by corbels. A unique feature is the seventeen large French doors in the house. A “porch” paved in grass, leads to one of these doors. The meticulously maintained landscaping and gardens provide a worthy setting for this stately home.
Dr. Vermilye, who bought the land and orange groves lived here unti1 1921. He was followed by Leviy and Alice Boyd and then, in 1928, by Mr. and Mrs. George Goldie. James and Priscil1a Simonds moved in about 1936. They were orange growers. The Simonds left Saritta Hill in 1966, continuing to own an irregular shaped piece of the property to the east of the home, bordered on Garden and Mariposa. This property was given to the City, by the Simonds, as a park.
In 1966 Dr. James and Lenora Ross moved here. They have made some exciting additions to the property, always keeping the original concept intact. Among them is the green-garden kitchen, sitting on two-foot brick walls. A wall was removed and replaced with a hidden beam supported by two Doric columns designed to match those outside. A statue of Hygeia, the Greek goddess of health, has been placed hear the front entrance. This statue, purchased in Europe, is the work of an unknown Flemish sculptor, circa 1680.
Dr. and Mrs. Ross very generously have opened their home for civic and social functions. It has been five times on the Redlands Horticultural and Improvement Society Garden Tour, four times on the Assistance League luncheons, a home for the Associates of the Redlands Bowl party and many, many more.