About This Project

2012 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT

The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Heritage Award 2012

Francis H. Hurff Residence
712 S. Buena Vista Street
1925

The Redlands Daily Facts announced the Francis H. Hurff home construction on October 17, 1925. The stucco Spanish Bungalow style home would be built on Buena Vista Street between Palm and West Cypress by contractor Garrett Huizing for $5,500. Mrs. F. M. Hurff had Huizing build her 636 Buena Vista home for $10,000 in 1924. The latest Huizing subdivision would include ornamental street lamps, landscaped yards, oak trees, and alley access on the east side of the street. Huizing’s office/home was located at 615 Buena Vista and remained there until all the lots were sold in the Huizing Buena Vista Subdivisions #2 and #3.

Architecturally, this Spanish Revival single story home uses the jazz stucco coating. The red flat tile roof was redone in 2009 with the original design in mind. Pueblo style clay pipes provide attic vents on the side of the home. Two enlarged clay pipes adorn the chimney with once again Pueblo accents. The street side entrance windows are multi-pained and decorated with Spanish spear-pointed window awnings. The ribbon driveway leads to the original 1925 garage awaiting a Model-A Ford or used Model T. Formality is introduced with the Roman arched doorway entrance.Today the home has three bedrooms.

Brooke Sawyer is listed as the owner in the 1930s adding a bedroom and bath for $1700 in 1937. Sawyer was an employee of W.C.C.V. Radio in 1933. Mrs. C. H. Gaylord remodeled the roof in 1943 and C. T. Salleder improved the plumbing in 1945. William Moore purchased the home in 1947 and remained the owner until 1966.

William G. Moore was publisher of the Redlands Daily Facts for decades until the family sold the paper in the 1980s. Bill with his brother editor, Frank E. Moore, wrote a column for the Facts called “With a Grain of Salt.” This column educated Redlanders about their history from the Native Americans, Spanish, Mexican Land Grant and the creation of Redlands. Bill collected historical photographs of Redlands and included many of them in his 1983 Redlands Yesterdays: A Photo Album—1870-1920. The Moore Historical Foundation, which he founded with his wife, Josephine, published the book. Moore Junior High is named for his father Paul Moore but Redlanders associate the name Moore with Paul, Bill and Frank.

Various owners including Leon Trowbridge, Lee Lombard, and Ronald Lombard pulled permits for the roof, furnace and 100 amp electrical panel.

Dr. Scott Nelson and Marni Nelson purchased the home in March 2010. Dr. Nelson works for the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Loma Linda Hospital. He spent months in Haiti after the earthquake donating his time and talents to the children injured there. Dr. Nelson and family returned to Haiti last year to continue aiding the children.This 2012 Heritage Award is given to the Nelson family for the care of this historical home. Their worldwide philanthropy is in keeping with a Redlands tradition.

Researched by: Tom Atchley

Presented
11 June 2011

Category
2012 Heritage Awards