2022 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT
The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Paul & Florence Parker Home
315 West Lugonia Avenue
This iconic stone home was built on West Lugonia Avenue in early 1930s. Stone or rock home construction was popular in this period due to the Craftsman or Arts & Crafts style architecture. This style emphasizes the elaborate use of native stone exterior materials. Several homes in the North Redlands area were built in this style. In particular, there are three other stone homes on the same block located on the southeast corner of Lugonia Avenue and Webster Street.
The corner home is a single story with gabled roof and overhanging eaves. The first impression is the wide variety of granite stones which are used on all four elevations. The home is approached by a stone pathway to the front entry porch on the northwest corner. The porch features a stone planter. To the left is the stone chimney.
The home has a variety of window sizes from a large sliding casement window on the west elevation to three smaller casement windows featured in a bay. A secondary entry door is on this same elevation. Notice how stones are used as lintels and sills for the windows. The home’s mailbox appropriately sports a beautiful mosaic design.
The rear (eastern elevation) has French doors that access the beautiful back yard. The elevation has a large attic vent and deep set smaller windows.
Research on the ownership of this property proved to be difficult. This area of Redlands was originally part of the Frank Hinckley family property acquired from Colonel William Rawson Tolles an early Redlands pioneer along what is now Lugonia Avenue in Section 22. The 20 acres was subdivided incrementally not via the traditional tract subdivision map. The San Bernardino County Assessor’s office calls the area the Meets & Bounds Subdivision which was subdivided in a haphazard manner.
The home appears to be built as a rental property. The first occupants listed in the City Directory was J. Max and Georgia Kohler as tenants. Mr. Kohler was a field manager for a local packing house. Their son Max, Junior graduated from Redlands High School in 1938. He later became the director of admissions at Pierce College in Los Angeles. The Kohler family later moved to 1017 North Orange Street by 1940.
By 1933 Philip J. and Helen V. Keyser are listed at the property. Mr. Keyser was a newspaper agent for the Los Angeles Times. In 1936 Marvin R. and Edith Newton were living in the home. In 1939 Thomas Franklin & Katherine Carroll family was listed, however by 1940 they had moved to 331 North Eureka Street.
By 1947 the Paul Chase & Florence Parker family were living in the home. Mr. Parker was a sales manager for the Redlands Plumbing and Heating Company listed at the same address. However, by 1950 Paul was listed as the manager/owner of the Redlands House of Music. Both the Parkers were musicians. They had two daughters, Linda and Sandra. Linda entered the Miss Redlands contest in 1957 as a senior at Redlands High. There she was active in Hi Tri and A Cappella choir. After marriage Linda worked as a secretary at Redlands High School Sandra also attended RHS and was a member of the Class of 1961.
By 1958 Mrs. Parker was listed as living alone at the home. She later worked as a nurse for Dr. Charles W. Harrison, Jr. She later married Arthur L. Brumfield in 1965. She died in 1978 and her obituary says she was a member of the California Music Teacher Association. After her death the property was owned by daughters Linda K. Neuman and Sandra K. Derr who sold the property to W. A. & Virginia Gilb in 1986.
Subsequently, the property changed ownership multiple times until it was purchased in May 20, 2021 by Vanessa Bravo. Vanessa had been looking to purchase a home in the area and was happy to find this unique home.
The Redlands Area Historical Society is proud to honor this wonderful example of Craftsman architecture to Vanessa Bravo.
Researched & written: Ron Running
13 June 2022