2021 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT
The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
The Sara M Curtis House/Hoagland Family Home
310 Myrtle Street
This home at 310 Myrtle is a classic example of an Arts and Crafts California bungalow. Low pitchedgable roof, open floor plan, exposed rafters or braces, built ins, and sturdy porch posts or columns are essential elements of this affordable, yet quality-built architectural style. Asbestos shingles cover the the exterior with a single centered dormer and louvered gable vent at the top of the dormer. Knee braces, often called “rafter tails,” are tucked under the eaves. The tapered squared columns supporting the wide porch overhang convey solidity and strength with a simple balustrade. Double-hung windows with matching grills are on the three sides. A bump out or bay with shed roof is featured on the south side and adjacent is the classic ribbon driveway leading to the back.
Four lots in the Atwood & Ford Subdivision #2 on Myrtle Street were purchased in 1904 by Miss Sara M. Curtis, a seamstress and dressmaker from Dayton, Illinois. She was one of 26 dressmakers in business in Redlands in 1917. Her first appearance in Redlands is in the 1902 city directory. Sara had a shop at 21 East State and lived at 609 East State. She later moved to 134 Fourth Street. Miss Curtis remained a fixture in Redlands until her passing in 1943. Her clients included the Fisher family on West Highland Avenue.
Curtis hired contractor Charles C. Reasoner to build 110 and 114 Myrtle (now 310 and 314). The other two houses were across the street at 117 and 121 Myrtle (later re-designated 317 and 321). Reasoner was the contractor on at least three of the four. The permit for 110 was issued on July 27, 1911; the anticipated cost $2,000. There is no known evidence that Sara lived in any of the four houses. Her venture provided steady rental income and eventually, out right cash from the sale of the houses.
The first documented residents of 310 Myrtle were Professor S. Guy Jones and his wife Letitia beginning in 1912 through at least 1915. Jones was hired by the University of Redlands in 1909 as the first physics instructor. At the time of his hiring, he was the youngest member of the U of R faculty. Jones was known for his athletic ability and on occasion, was a ringer on the Bulldog football team as well as breaking a couple ribs in one game. Another well-known Redlander was Frank J. Loge and his wife, Ruth. Their time of residency was around 1919 to 1921. Frank and his business partner, Rollo Holcomb, were proprietors (later owned by Ted and Lois Holcomb) of the popular Triangle Chocolate Shop near the corner of Citrus and Orange. The next residents were Walter and Clara Blodgett and then, Louis and Augusta Whitney. Around 1926 a young widow, May Luckenbill and her two small sons, moved in. Tragedy had struck the young family in 1917 when living in Spokane, Washington. May was pregnant with her second son when her husband, David, was killed in a bridge collapse. A native of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, May was a graduate of Oberlin College. She moved to southern California following the death of her husband and then to Redlands. Mrs. Luckenbill was a member of the Redlands High School faculty for approximately 25 years. She taught women’s P.E. and later served as Dean of Girls. She retired in 1950. May lived at 310 Myrtle until at least 1941 before moving to 924 Church Street.
A search of the San Bernardino County Archives reveals the owner of 310 Myrtle in 1930 was Luella Edna Blackburn, and then in 1932, Frank F. and Lillie L. Konen. Frank was the step-father of future owner Nellie Hoagland and her husband, Raymond Keith Hoagland. Frank is also listed as the owner of 314 Myrtle where he lived from about 1933 until his death in 1963. Marion F. and Marjorie F. Burr owned the home in 1941, and Earl and Ada Johnson in 1945.
Raymond Keith and Nellie Hoagland are listed beginning in 1947. The Hoagland family has a long and fascinating connection with the San Bernardino Valley beginning a century earlier. Keith’s grandfather, Lucas Hoagland, arrived in 1847 as a member of the Mormon Battalion of the US Army. The Hoagland family owned a farm that would eventually become part of Norton Air Force Base. Keith was a skilled electrician at Norton Air Force Base beginning in 1943 until his retirement in 1972. Following Nellie’s death in 1971, Keith married Doris. Keith passed away in 1990 and Doris in 2014.
For seventy-four years members of the extended Hoagland family remain stewards of this beautifully restored California bungalow. Kristy Reed, the granddaughter of Doris Hoagland, and husband, Christoper Reed, moved into the house in 2006 and purchased it in 2008. Kristy is a PE teacher and Chris, a physician’s associate. They have two children, Mackenzie and Dalton. During their tenure they have replaced electrical and plumbing in its entirety, rebuilt the front porch, and installed new irrigation and a new lawn. The roof was replaced about 15 to 20 years ago. More recently, in 2017, the DIY Restored program hosted by Brett Waterman restored the original hardwood floors and fireplace, completely redid the kitchen, installed period appropriate windows in the dinning room, painted the exterior in a dark gray and blue, moved the air intakes and installed new beautiful vent ducts as well as other touch ups to the original wood accents throughout the house.
The Redlands Area Historical Society recognizes and honors the efforts of Chris, Kristy, Mackenzie, and Dalton Reed for their dedication and stewardship of 310 Myrtle Street as well as their commitment to preserving their family’s legacy.
Presented 27 September 2021
Research by – Steve Spiller, Karen Flippin, & Marie Reynolds