2008 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT
The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Louise A. Cartlidge Home
105 Garden Hill
The Cartlidge home is owned by Matt and Jennifer Lichfield.
In 1917 this beautiful Dutch Colonial Revival home was built by owner Louise A. Cartlidge. The home’s exterior has shiplap siding and shake shingles. It has classic arched hood above door attached to building. It has a classic revival gambrel roof and matching fireplaces on each end of the original house.
In March of 1917, E.A. Moore, L.A. Cartlidge and H.H. Ford created the Garden Court Subdivision which consisted of eight lots. That same year three homes were built #103 was first built by E.A. Moore. The other two were #105 by E.L. Cartledge and 107 by W.G.E Mullen, Grace Mullen’s husband. They remain today. Bowl founder Grace Mullen lived next door and possibilities exist that Mrs. Cartlidge participated or encouraged Mullen in the early days.
Garden Hill Street, originally Garden Court is now part of the Garden Hill Historic District.
The Lichfields have lived in the home for three years, during this time they have continued interior remodeling. Exterior expansion in the back of the home was completed in at lease two phases by two previous owners. In each case they carefully matched the style, historic siding and attic vents.
The house was built following the death of Louise’s husband in the east. CH Cartlidge was a well known engineer and considered an expert in cement and steal bridge construction. His bridges are considered historical construction sites today. Louise came to Redlands to join her mother-in-law and sister-in-laws who had moved here sometime before 1906 when her father-in-law died in Redlands. At first Louise lived on Walnut Street around the corner from her in-laws on Cedar Street. She began to build her home soon after her husband’s death.
Later her sister-in-laws who never married, moved in with her. One, Francis was a pianist and taught at University of Redlands.
The second owner was the Bernard W. Shaper family. Mr. Bernard was an educator and a principal in San Bernardino in 1930 the year before they moved to Redlands, where he continued in local education. At least 8 additional owners have occupied the home since 1940.
This home beautifully maintained in the character of the original home, with original river rock wall, and matching siding. Louise would be proud to see it today. Congratulations on your Heritage Home designation.
Researched by Ron Burgess