Cass Gaylord was born in Illinois in 1845, his parents having moved to that state from New Hampshire three years before. He lived in Illinois, upon the farm where he was born, until he came to Redlands in 1886. His education was received in the public schools and the seminary at Aurora. In 1867 he was married to Miss Angelia Hawkins, a native of Illinois. They have four children, two sons and two daughters, all living in California. One of the daughters is Mrs. Walters, of Riverside, and the other is Mrs. W. G. Wilson, of Redlands. Having been a farmer all his life, Mr. Gaylord naturally took to orange growing when he came to Redlands and secured a fine property on Cypress Avenue, adjoining the Redlands Grammar School. He was a member of the board of trustees of this school from 1887 to 1890.
(Source: Illustrated Redlands, 1897, p. 18.)