R. H. Kendall is both a veteran of the civil war and a pioneer in this section of California. Born in Vermont in 1848, he enlisted in the United States army when less than fifteen years of age by three months, and served until the close of the war, his term lacking fifteen days of three years. He was with the First New Hampshire Cavalry in the Army of the Potomac. In July, 1864, he went with Sheridan on his famous raid through the Shenandoah valley. He took part in the battles of White Oak Swamp, Seven Pines, Shenandoah, Winchester and Wilson’s Hill. He was also with General Wilson on his daring raid during which the Union cavalry were eleven days within the rebel lines and under fire every day. While in the Shenandoah valley Mr. Kendall was wounded three times, but remained in the service until his command was mustered out at the close of hostilities.
In July, 1868, Mr. Kendall came to California, went to Arizona soon afterward, and, in about a year, returned to California. For a time he kept a stage station, before the advent of the railroad, at Whitewater, between here and Arizona, on the desert. With the exception of this period he has lived in San Bernardino County since 1868. In 1876 he was married to Miss Emily Benson, a native of San Bernardino County. They came to Redlands for a permanent residence in 1885, and have seen the city grow from nothing. Mr. Kendall at first engaged in ranching, but when Redlands was incorporated he was holding the office of road overseer, and, after incorporation, he was appointed street superintendent. Later, for about a year, he was night watchman. A vivid remembrance of his experience in this office is that of his encounter with burglars, who were attempting to open the safe in the Santa Fe depot, in the winter of 1891. Three shots were fired on each side, and Mr. Kendall was stunned by a bullet which grazed his head. The burglars were frightened away without securing any booty. In 1892 Mr. Kendall was elected city marshal and was re-elected in 1894, serving two terms.
(Source: Illustrated Redlands, 1897, p. 29.)