Dr. Edwin Thomas Painter was born at Newton, Mass., March 13, 1855. He lived for several years at Worcester, Mass., graduating from the State Normal School, and, in 1874, from the Worcester Polytechnic Institute, receiving the degree of bachelor of science. He taught mathematics at the Worcester high school for three years, and then took a medical course at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New York, which is the medical department of Columbia University. From this university he received his degree of M.D. in May, 1885. December 29 of that year he was married to Miss Lucy Scott, of Pittsburgh, Pa. Dr. Painter matriculated at the universities of Berlin and Vienna, and afterwards established himself as a specialist in Pittsburgh. In that city he was co-editor and proprietor of the Pittsburg Medical Review.
In 1890 he took further post-graduate studies in Germany, and the following year he was obliged to come west in search of health. He came to Redlands, and, having largely recovered his health and strength, opened an office as a specialist in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat. For the past three years he has practiced his profession continuously in Redlands, with the exception of short trips east. Dr. and Mrs. Painter have one son, Theodore. Dr. Painter is the director in the Redlands Electric Light and Power Company, and recently served for a short time as a trustee of the Redlands grammar school, declining to permit his name to be used for re-election. He is also interested in orange growing, having a small ranch of three acres surrounding his residence in West Redlands and a ten-acre ranch on San Mateo Street.
(Source: Illustrated Redlands, 1897, p. 42.)