Rev. Orange H. Spoor, pastor of the Terrace Congregational Church, was born in Georgia, Vt., July 4, 1831. Until 18 years of age his life was spent upon a farm, and in acquiring such education as was possible from the country schools and study at home. He then began teaching and also pursued his studies in various academies and in New Hampton Institute, of the same state. After serving for three years as principal of Mattapoisett Academy in Massachusetts, he entered the Theological Seminary at Oberlin, Ohio, graduating in 1861. His ministerial labors for the next twenty-five years were in Michigan, eleven years in Vermontville, four in Traverse City, five in Dowagiac and five in Charlotte. During this time he was for several years Inspector of Public Schools and Director of Sunday School Normal work in Marshall Association, of which he was a member. Compelled to resign his charge in consequence of failing health, he started for the Pacific Slope and arrived in Redlands in the spring of 1887, where he at once began to recuperate from the results of overwork. In November, 1890, he became pastor of the church to which he now ministers. In 1855 Mr. Spoor was married to Miss Lura F. Dewey, of Georgia, Vt., a collaborator with him in Mattapoisett Academy. They have one daughter and two sons, now residing in Redlands—Mrs. A. G. Hubbard, W. L. Spoor, of the firm of Gillis & Spoor, druggists and E. L. Spoor, manager for A. G. Hubbard.
The building occupied by the Terrace Congregational Society was the first church edifice erected in this vicinity and was for over four years the only church within the present limits of Redlands. It was dedicated Jan. 7, 1883, and the bell (then the only one in this end of the valley) was hung and first rung five days previously. It was at that time occupied by the First Congregational Society, which removed to a new edifice in March 1890. A minority of the members remained and formed the Terrace Congregational Society, which started with 58 members, and has at present 87. Rev. Spoor has occupied the pulpit since organization.
(Source: Illustrated Redlands, 1897, p. 9)