Although a Redlands Area Historical Society was organized in 1900, today’s Society was established in 1972 and incorporated in 1974. The Redlands Area Historical Society’s purpose is to support and to advance the many facets of the area’s historic resources.
Historic resources, sites, and memorabilia provide tangible links to, and visible reminders of, the past, bringing continuity and perspective to our lives. By perpetuating our past through the preservation of historic resources, we maintain a rich diversity in our community life. By respecting and restoring architectural integrity of structures and by conserving neighborhood environments, we preserve the unique character and document the historical evolution of the place in which we live.
The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc., emphasizes the conservation of the past in terms of buildings, neighborhoods, written and oral history, and memorabilia as well as programs to educate citizens, young and old, on the significance of the values of Redlands’ heritage.
Returning speaker, Mark Landis will present a program on the history of the Arrowhead electric trolley that went from downtown San Bernardino to the famous Arrowhead Springs hotel with passenger cars and water transport cars. The line was built in 1907 by the San Bernardino Traction Company and became part of the Pacific Electric system in 1911. It operated until 1960. Landis is a freelance columnist with the Inland News Group. He will show rare photos and newspaper articles of this forgotten chapter of local history.
The meeting will be start at 7:00 p.m. in the assembly room of the A.K. Smiley Public Library on Monday evening, October 27, 2014. The meeting is open to the public and no charge.
Articles, Events, Society Meetings, Uncategorized
The Redlands Area Historical Society’s annual tour of Hillside Memorial Park will be given on Saturday, October 25, 2014 at 4 p.m. The tour will be lead by local historian, Tom Atchley and will last approximately one and one/half hours. The cost of the tour is $10. No reservations are necessary. The tour will begin in front of the 1928 Egyptian Mausoleum which is located near the Sunset Drive entrance and the cemetery office. The tour will visit the graves of many of early Redlanders and will explain the history of the cemetery itself.
Events, Walking Tours
Historian Ann Cordy Deegan will discuss her latest publication “Redlands Directories 1896-1967″. Her publication is a San Bernardino County County Museum Association Quarterly for 2014. The directories include information on Bryn Mawr, Calimesa, Crafton, Loma Linda, Mentone, Oak Glen, Redlands and Yucaipa.
Ann has co-authored “Images of America: Early Redlands” last year with Smiley Public Library archivist, Maria Corrillo. Deegan received her Ph.D. from the University of Maryland and her M.S. and B.S. degrees from the University of California, Davis campus. Formerly, Ann was the curator of history at the San Bernardino County Museum.
This latest work on the city directories provides an in-depth analysis of the local directories found in the A. K. Smiley Public Library Heritage Room. The book provides instructions on how researchers can use the directories in family research, home construction information, business and professional occupations, advertising, government, occupations, parks, schools, and streets.
The program will be held Monday, September 22, 2014 at 7:00 p.m. in the Assembly Room of the A.K. Smiley Public Library located at 125 W. Vine Street, Redlands. The Redlands Area Historical Society programs are free and open to the public.
Articles, Events, Newsletter