About This Project

1984 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT

The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.

Jack & Jill Children & Teen Attic Store

25 E. State Street

(1900)

A reason for the incorporation of the City of Redlands in 1888, was to establish fire ordinances to protect downtown business buildings. The 1886 Chicago fire was in the recent past, so all downtown businesses in Redlands were, in the early years, sub­stantial brick block in design. Anthony Hubbard built two build­ings on East State Street in 1900. The commercial building at 25 East State Street cost $2,500.  The brick was brought from A.E. Taylor brick and manufacturing yard on West Olive and Lakeside Avenues. The first occupant of the building was C.J. Christie and Company, a grocery store. The twin building at 27 East State Street was occupied by Pacific Paint Company and across the street was the ever popular Riggs Pharmacy.

In 1905, Miss Lucy Foote and Charles C. Beatty transformed the interior to a book and stationary store. They advertised other items such as picture frames, art goods, and news items. In 1909, Sidney T. Smith purchased the store and was proprietor until 1929, selling art goods and stationery. Then, John H. Alder was pro­prietor of Alder’s Paint and Art Store until, in 1941, William W. Alder succeeded him. The Alders continued to sell art glass, Franciscan Pottery, and Sherwin Williams Paint at this location until 1970. The successful Jack and Jill Children and Attic Teen Shop opened at the location-in that year and continues operation there today. The current owner of the structure is Winifred Nagy Lewis.

The building is of simple brick design typical of Redlands’ early downtown and other commercial area throughout the country. The facade includes ornamental iron and tile work. Signage is a simple well-proportioned and easily identifiable neon sign. Customers are invited to enter the store by clear glass display windows that angle toward the front door. Displays are eye catching and seen from both sides of the street. The second story includes smaller windows that provide natural light to additional retail space. The facade of this building respects its history and that of Redlands as well.

The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc. hopes that this type of respect will be transferred to downtown Redlands redevelopment efforts and that this type of building will provide the theme for future revitalization efforts.

Category
1984 Heritage Awards