1994 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT
The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Heritage Award 1994
Julius F. Boettger Cottage
2005 East Citrus Avenue
Assessment records first show the property belonging to George H. and C.J. Crafts in 1895. In 1896 Lewis Jacobs purchased lots 2,3,4. From 1897 to 1900 the three lots went to the Bank of San Bernardino. 1901, Jacobs again owned the property selling to Henry E. Sherman in 1902. Sherman held ownership until 1907 when it was sold to William N. Boettger. In 1908 lot two was sold. In 1911 lots 3 and 4 were purchased by Julius F. Boettger. Redlands directories show them living in the house from 1910 . Wilhelmina passed away September 11, 1941. Julius was ill and could not walk. He sold the property to his brother Hugo in February 6, 1951. Julius died in January 26,1959. They did not have children. Hugo passed away in 1957 and the property then went to her mother, Gladys Boettger, his sister-in-law, in Highgrove, California. She hired a caretaker and lived in the house during smudging to supervise. The caretaker also lived in the home three or four times a week. Before she passed away in 1977, her daughter, Margarit M. Glaze, cared for the property with the help of a caretaker, Tony. The property stayed in the Boettger name until 1974, about 67 years. In 1974, Frank Jacinto, Jr. his wife Pansy, Wayne Kishak and his wife Jane purchased the property together. July 1979 Jacintos acquired total ownership. Today, 1994, the house is occupied by their son, Michael Jacinto.
In the late 1800’s and early 1900’s there were several families, in Redlands, with the Boettger name. Most of them orange growers. They came from Germany and settled in Iowa before coming here. The Jacinto name is well known in the Redlands area. Frank came to Redlands in the early 1920’s from the island of Santa Maria in the Azores. There is an oral history in the Heritage Room of the Smiley Library on both Frank and his brother John.