1978 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT
The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Heritage Award 1978
William Fulton Schee Home
902 West State Street
This stately manor of the late-Victorian period stands at the north end of Center Street and is a beautiful reminder of our past. The house was built in 1892 by William Schee (after he retired to Redlands from Oscaloosa, Iowa). Schee worked as a millwright and later as a contractor-builder. For several years he was a shipper and breeder of cattle and horses, but upon buying his ranch here in Redlands in the Barton tract, Schee turned to oranges and deciduous fruits.
W. F. Schee
The front porch and foundation of the house are made of hand cutstone. A balcony above the porch adorns the second story. The interior features an elegant entryway with the parlor off to the left and stairs climbing up to the right. The fireplace in the parlor is set off with Italian tile work. The house has four bedrooms upstairs and a bedroom and office downstairs.
Now owned by Mr. and Mrs. Howard Floyd, the house is being restored. They have glassed in one of the back screened porches to make a very functional garden room. Mr. Floyd has had to replace several sections of ornate door molding which he hand carved to copy the original. The interior is decorated with many fine antiques and collectibles from the Floyd family. The front doors of the barn came from the Wyatt Opera House which used to stand at the corner of Orange Street and Colton Avenue.