1991 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT
The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Lyman M. King Home
529 Brookside Ave
Redlands pioneer, Lyman M. King and his wife Marion commissioned the building firm of Swan and Munzig in 1903 to build a modest cottage of five rooms for $2,000 at 529 Brookside Avenue. The Kings would reside in the home until 1909 when they moved to the comer of Knoll Road and Fountain Avenue.
Born in Iowa in 1869, Lyman King grew up in northern California and graduated from Napa College (now College of the Pacific.) He began a career in the newspaper business as a reporter for the Napa Daily Register, and in 1898 moved to Pasadena to become part owner and city editor of the Pasadena Daily Star. The King’s move to Redlands was at the urging of good friend Alfred C. Burrage, who also helped him purchase the Redlands Daily Review. Actively engaged in journalism in Redlands, King eventually acquired controlling interest in the Redlands Daily Facts, and sold this interest to Paul W. Moore in 1929, ten years after his other publication, the Redlands Daily Review ceased publication.
King was not only a successful journalist, but also was active in politics and banking. He served as state senator from 1914 to 1922 and as Director of Finance under Governor Clement C. Young in 1931. King’s third career direction was in the field of banking. He purchased interests in Redlands -Building and Loan Association from its founder W. T. Bill. King later became president of the Association which was eventually named Redlands Federal Savings and Loan Association.
Architecturally, the King home on Brookside Avenue is a one and one half story bell-cast, hipped roofed cottage with a front facing dormer. The wooden frame construction has horizontal wooden siding with an off-center, glass panelled door and sidelights. The enclosed full facade porch is supported by four square piers, also covered with horizontal wooden siding. There are two east and west facing gables that were added at a later date.
After the Kings moved in 1909, there would be many different occupants of the residence, including Walter G. Driver and his wife Bertha. Mr. Driver was the auditor of the Holton Power Company. The drivers lived in the residence from 1910 to 1917. Among other occupants over the next thirty years were Evelyn Banning, a Redlands high school teacher, and Dale Ferguson, assistant postmaster. M. C. Ferreira converted the residence into a rest home called the Brookside Rest Home. It remained in that role until 1974.
A major transition for the structure came in 1988 when Dr. Lawrence Lee purchased it and planned to establish his dental practice there. The structure was placed on the City of Redlands historical resources in 1988 after which this important architectural and historical resource was renovated and restored. One interesting feature of the building is the restored parquet flooring which was salvaged from the Henry Fisher Mansion on Highland Avenue when it was razed in the 1950s. Dr. Lee celebrated the grand opening of his new office in May, 1991.
Dr. Lee and his wife Marilyn are to be commended for their interest and dedication in renovating and restoring this important historical resource for the community.