1984 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT
The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Heritage Award 1984
Newton S. McAbee Home
1310 Elizabeth Street
In August 1891, the Citrograph reported that the “N.S.McAbee residence on Redlands Heights is assuming handsome proportions. The site is among the best in the valley and commands a view of the surrounding country for miles. Mr. McAbee is sparing no trouble to put the grounds in a highly ornamental condition. The first step toward this is a large amount of cement work he is having done.” McAbee was a director in the Bear Valley Irrigation Co., from 1889 to 1894. He invested heavily in the developments of that company in Moreno Valley. The neighborhood was called “Director’s Alley” because A. E. Sterling and Walter Main also lived on the ridge above Crescent Avenue. These men were all directors of water companies important to the development of
Redlands and other areas.
In 1896 the home was sold to Rollin B. Lane, an orange grower. It sold again in 1909 to Arthur C. Denman, the past manager of the San Bernardino Valley Traction Co. A great deal of remodeling occurred during Denman’s tenure. Subsequent owners included Richard and Mary Lodge, relatives of the Henry Cabot Lodges, in the 1920’s. Frank and Dorothy Cole owned the residence from the 1930′ s through the 1950′ s. Roy and Martha Bayly were owners through the 1960’s. Dr. and Mrs. Leif Vogt-Nilsen bought the property in 1967 and subsequently sold it to the present owners, Edward and Marilyn Palmer in 1970.
The front side of this colonial revival house originally faced Crescent Avenue with no houses in between. The house has piazzas on its north and east side. The piazza on the west side has since been enclosed. The piazzas are characterized by square, plain supporting posts with wood arches and lattice work trim. The first floor siding is plain wooden boards with the second floor offering contrast by having shingles. The second floor includes protruding gables from the roofline. The gables include small porches surrounded by balustrades. The eave line is supported by decorative brackets. The house is surrounded by ashlar cuts tone garden walls.
The Redlands Area Historical Society is proud to honor this example of Redlands’ heritage and to commend the stewardship of the present owners.