2014 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT
The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
2014 Heritage Award
Robert and Carrie Brown Residence
1009 La Hermosa Drive
Robert and Carrie Brown were the first couple to live in 1009 La Hermosa Drive in 1931. William M. Cochrane subdivided Crescent Heights and hired Brown as superintendent of construction for Redlands Income Properties, of which Austin T. Park was the president and treasurer. These dwellings were designed along Spanish Revival lines, each with seven rooms, three being bedrooms. All the homes had red-tile roofs, big basements, furnace heat and uninterrupted views of mountains and valley. Robert Brown was kept busy building homes in Crescent Heights and the Grand View subdivision for decades.
The curving streets followed the natural hills and in 1925 were named Monterey A, B and C and Crescent A, B, C, D, etc. In 1951, to end address confusion the streets were renamed La Arriba, La Cresta, La Flora, La Loma, and La Hermosa. The Spanish Revival Style was deemed Mediterranean and matched the Grand View homes of the same decade. City fathers granted the subdivision reduced street widths, no sidewalks, no ornamental street lighting, small lots, and many homes without garages or driveways. Lot prices varied from $725 to $2500. Residents were expected to park their cars in the street.
This home began as 909 Crescent B with the lot costing $725. The home cost $4,275 and is a one-story Spanish Revival. The barrel red-tile roof is prevalent in the neighborhood. A chimney is topped with a red-tile cone. The exterior of the home is a jazz plaster with double hung windows accented with storm shudders and a square one-story Spanish tower. The small front porch entry has a recessed doorway. The home has no garage or driveway. Street ornamental lighting was provided later.
Paul C. and Mary Annibil are listed living in the home beginning in 1933 to at least 1941. Paul was the owner of 2 West State Street which was the Rexall Store. He sold drugs, toilet articles, perfumes, stationery, Kodak’s, candy, and cigars.
Henry J. and LaVae Romo bought the home in the mid-1940s. His father was an orange grower in Redlands Heights and at one time farmed the current subdivision. Romo Jr. was a teacher in the Colton School District and a member of the Redlands City Council in the 1950s. He began a family room addition in 1957 for $1400. The improvements included new electrical and plumbing permits.
John McAlearney provided air-conditioning in 1978. John Nimmo improved the fire-place in 1985 and added a sewing room and patio.
The Joe and Irene Lampasi Family Living Trust have kept this family home and grounds in excellent condition. The Redlands Area Historical Society is proud to recognize this fine historical home in this 1920’s neighborhood.
Research by: Tom Atchley
16 June 2014