Antoinette M. Humphreys, the efficient librarian of the Redlands Public Library, was born at Port Byron, N. Y., but her parents moved to New Haven, Conn., while she was still a little girl, and she was educated at the Hillhouse High School in that city. In the fall of 1891 she came to Redlands with her father and mother who are still living here. She studied library work with Miss Helen A. Nevin, the first librarian of the Redlands library and took charge upon the resignation of Miss Nevin, June 1, 1895. Miss Humphreys has been a capable and popular official and presides over an institution which is constantly growing in favor and usefulness. The library was established as a result of public subscriptions, among those most active in securing these being A. H. Smiley, F. P. Meserve, Mrs. W. Howard White and Miss L. E. Foote. It was established in March, 1894, and formally opened to the public Feb. 22d of that year. Its affairs are administered by a board of trustees, and it is sustained by a tax upon the city property, which now amounts to eight-tenths of a mill upon the dollar of assessed valuation. The amount raised in this way, last year, was $3232. There were 4043 books in this library July 1, 1897, and others are being constantly added. This number is exclusive of pamphlets.
(Source: Illustrated Redlands, 1897, p. 29)