CHARLES HENRY CLOCK – A prominent leader in the Redlands citrus industry, was born at Hampton, Iowa, completing his early education there and then attending Grinnell college and later Northwestern University, where he was graduated.
He came to join his parents (Charles L. & Rebecca Clock) and brothers (Fred H. and Harry L. ) here in 1901, entering the citrus business with them. He became president of Redlands Co-Operative Fruit Association about the time it was formed in 1911 and held the position until his death in 1946. He was also president of Redlands-Highlands Fruit Exchange, as well as being the district’s representative on the boards of directors of the California Fruit Growers Exchange and the Fruit Growers Supply Co.
Mr. Clock was the first president of the Redlands Community Hospital Association when it was formed in 1927. He was chairman of the A.K. Smiley Public Library board, a position he had held since 1940. He was elected to city council in 1910 and was mayor of Redlands from 1912 – 1913.
He married Muriel Beamer in 1904. Their children were Anita Kathreen, Phyllis and Charles Philip. They resided at 671 E. Palm Avenue until they moved to Graystone in 1943. After Mr. Clock’s death, Muriel Clock resided there with her second husband, J. J. Prendergast.
Clock Home at 671 E. Palm Avenue
Redlands High School Administration Building and Clock Auditorium on right