DR. CHARLES J. CLOCK, prominent young physician of the city, was born in Lattimer, Iowa, on January 7, 1900. When he was six months old, his family returned to Redlands where his father, Fred H. Clock, was already a well-known figure in public life. “Pat,” as he is familiarly known, attended Crafton school, went to Los Angeles and finished grammar school there. During the San Francisco exposition of 1915, he worked in that city as door boy in a cafe. In 1916, he was about to leave for China on a transport when he received a wire from his father telling him to come back to Redlands and go to high school.
This he did, but on March 29, 1917, six weeks before the United States entered the World war he enlisted in the Seventh California National Guard. He was sent to Arcadia, inducted into the regular army and transferred to North Island Aviation School, San Diego, for guard duty. Following that, he spent a year at Camp Kearney.
In July, 1918, he went overseas. After many months in a training camp in central France, he was sent to the front in reserve during the St. Mihiel drive. The war ended and he was discharged at Camp Kearney in April, 1919. He worked for some time in the. Southwestern shipyards in Long Beach, returned to Redlands, re-entered high school and was graduated in 1921. He entered the University of Redlands, quit in 1922, went to Imperial valley and worked on a ranch for a year. Later, he was employed by the Standard Oil Co. in El Segundo and by the Vesuvius Oil Co. in Hollywood.
Deciding to become a doctor, he returned to U. of R. and took pre-medical work, 1926 and 1927, entered the University of Southern California Medical School and was graduated in 1932. Then followed one year as intern in the San Bernardino County hospital. In September, 1933, he opened an office for the practice of medicine in Redlands.
Dr. Clock was married to Cecelia Ruth Gowland on Dec. 18, 1937. He has one son, Charles J. Clock, Jr., by a previous marriage.
Wood working is his favorite hobby and when he has his new home completed, which is in the process of construction on Sunset drive, he will have a well equipped shop where he may enjoy this work in his leisure time.
His fraternities are Pi Chi (U. of R. local), Kappa Zeta, honorary medical, and Alpha Kappa Kappa, national medical, of which he was president, 1929-30, at U. S. C. Other affiliations include the Elks club, the “R” club of the university, the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Kiwanis and the Redlands Country Club.
This year, he is president of the staff of the Redlands Community hospital. He is also a member of the surgical staff of the San Bernardino county hospital, a member of the County Medical society, the State Medical society and the American Medical association.
He is a member and trustee of the First Baptist church.
Source: Redlands Golden Jubilee, 1938, p. 47.