Dr. M.W. Hill, the first homeopathic physician to settle in this city, is a native of East Montpelier, Vt., and was educated at Barre Academy and the Hahnemann Medical College at Philadelphia, graduating at the latter institution in March, 1871, when a trifle over 21 years of age. After practicing in Vermont until 1878 he removed to Central Iowa, where he lived until the fall of 1887 and then came to Redlands. Dr. Hill who has always taken a deep interest in school matters, was a member of the Redlands grammer school board for six years from 1891 and was clerk of the high school board for two years, having been among the first to agitate the subject of a high school and the most persistent in securing its establishment.
In September, 1872, he was married at Morrisville, Vt., to Miss Ella Gilman, a native of New Hampshire and daughter of a prominent physician. Of their five children Harold is a senior in Stanford University and Howard a sophomore. Karl and Edith were among the graduates of the high school for the present year and will take post-graduate studies next year. The youngest, Ella, is still a scholar at the grammar school. Dr. Hill was active in the organization of the Redlands lodge, K.of P., in January, l893 and is a member of the California State and the Southern California homeopathic societies.
(Source: Illustrated Redlands, 1987, pg. 35)