Jennie E. Dike Bungalow


The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
Heritage Award 1995

Jennie E. Dike Bungalow
302 West Fern Avenue

This one story clapboard bungalow located at the corner of Fern Ave and Grant street, was constructed in 1904 for Andrew N. and Jennie E. Dike The original building permit lists the builders as Huntington and Twigg (Twigg was Jennie’s father), cost $2400, one story, seven rooms, Holden Villa Tract.

Jenny Dike was born in Cambridge, Vermont on June 26,1880, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James H. Twigg. She came to Redlands at the age of ten a attended Kingsbury Elementary and Redlands High schools. In 1897, she married Andrew N. Dike and they had four children. She was very active the community belonging to the Contemporary Club, the Cosmos Club and the First United Methodist Church, where she taught Sunday School. She died April 3rd, 1977.

The bungalow’s medium bellcast, hipped roof contains three identical dormers facing east, south and west. The cornices are boxed, to match the house, with brackets in sets of two. Below the plain frieze is a two sash window divided by a wood panel. The cornices of the house have decorative brackets in sets of three. The recessed front porch is supported by two columns, with a clapboard balustrade. The centered front door has a large square glass pane at the top with leaded glass side lights, and dental trim below. Two south facing windows are composed of twelve rectangular panes, the southwest window has a glass transom of four triangles, the other a transom of diamonds, each has wooden shutters.

Andrew N. Dike was born in Cleveland, Ohio, March 11,1870. He came to California at the age of ten and after graduating from Woodbury Business College of Los Angeles in 1888, he came to Redlands and worked planting orange groves. Deciding to enter the University of Southern California, he attended only one year when his health made it necessary for him to return to Redlands. He entered into the real estate business and in 1901, formed the firm of Dike and Logie. Together they subdivided a large amount of property in Redlands and Huntington Beach. In September, 1909, along with five others he formed the Redlands/Yucaipa Land Company, establishing the present town of Yucaipa. Since his arrival in Redlands he was an active member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, Kiwanis Club and many philanthropic organizations. Mr. Dike passed away March 6, 1943, at the age of 72.

Other owners of the property were Henry Carmichael, 1910; from 1913 to 1956 the bungalow was used as a rental, in 1956 it belonged to A.L. Touzeau, a teacher with the San Bernardino School District, and in 1990, the present owners, Paul and Lisa Lechuga.

Since purchasing the house, the Lechugas have completed many major improvements. Interior and exterior have been painted, insulation and central air and heating, a complete kitchen remodel with a new bay window, two bathrooms remodeled and a new wooden entry floor.

The Redlands Area Historical Society wishes to commend Paul and Lisa Lechuga for their commitment to the rehabilitation of their home and new interest in historic preservation.