2017 HERITAGE AWARD RECIPIENT
The Redlands Area Historical Society, Inc.
William H. & Nellie W. Wyckoff Home
117 West Cypress Avenue
William H. and Nellie Wyckoff hired prominent Redlands builder, Garrett Huizing, to plan and construct their home in 1922. Wyckoff owned several orange groves in Redlands. The home is an example of Redlands’ prosperity in the 1920s with a building cost of $12,000 and the Mediterranean architecture. Wyckoff centered the home on two lots of the Dike and Logie Subdivision choosing the southeast corner of Cypress and Eureka.
Andrew Dike and John Logie had successfully subdivided the Yucaipa Valley in 1910 under the banner “Where the Big Red Apples Grow.” In Redlands, their subdivision at Cypress and Eureka was the last clinkerbrick subdivision in Redlands and extended along the 600 block of South Eureka ending at an orange grove that remained until the 1950s. Wyckoff promised to build a two-story home that would in essence greet buyers at the subdivision entrance. R. J. Farquhar did the same in 1926 at 203 W. Cypress with a beautiful Spanish Revival home.
Dike and Logie built two clinkerbrick monument planters on the corner of Eureka and Cypress. An arched ornamental gate with support posts announced the subdivision name between the monuments when the subdivision opened. The planters were filled with climbing roses that draped the side of the monuments. Lots sold for $1200-$1800 and were quickly purchased beginning in 1920. Many of the homes built are period revival of the 1920s.
The tract boasts lots 225 feet by 60 feet wide and a 30 foot setback is on each lot to create a park-like street scene. Incense Cedars were chosen for the streetscape theme. A cobblestone wall along the sidewalk is capped with cement that gives the wall a finished touch. Recently, the cut-stone curb was repaired to the original splendor.
This is a fine example of Mediterranean architecture. The style emphasizes balanced symmetry with matching windows, centered doorway, and an overall simplified style. The roof is composed of red tile. Eaves show extending rafters that are not decorative. The home has a stucco exterior that is a “U” shape with an addition beginning in 1930 by Robert Lackman. A formal Doric column gazebo adorns the back yard inside the “U.” The front porch has a comfortable porch swing with two chairs to balance the space.
The street view of the home presents a gabled entrance with matching gables on either side. Second story windows are grouped in three’s that match the set on the west side. Huizing left his signature portico decoration above the first story windows. An airplane weather vane graces the gable on the west side entrance.
Ronald G. Nelson completed the kitchen remodel in 1981. Fred Maper completed termite removal in 1964. John McAnespie is recorded in the city files with a new 200 amp electrical service in 1985. McAnespie relocated the garage in 2002 and received a permit for the flagpole in 2012. Overall, the home seems to have only five owners since 1923.
The Redlands Area Historical Society congratulates the John and Jeanne McAnespie family for their guardianship of this fine home since 1984.
Researcher: Tom Atchley